I work at Palantir on health research at NIH. This includes N3C, the US’s largest HIPAA-limited electronic health record dataset for researchers to better understand the long-term effects of COVID-19 and, soon, other diseases. (Press: Nature, STAT News, MIT Technology Review.)
I’m always open to making new friends, reading blog post drafts, or just chatting. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advice That Actually Worked For Me
- How To Understand Things
- Video Games are the Future of Education
- Notes On Karl Popper
- How To Sell
More about me
I grew up in Manchester, England; I lived & worked in London and Toulouse before moving to America (first SF, then NYC, now DC). As an undergrad, I studied Philosophy, Politics, and Economics at Oxford, focusing mostly on development economics, the later philosophy of Wittgenstein, and the ideas of Derek Parfit. After university, I joined GoCardless (YC S11) as their eighth employee and worked there for a few years, mostly on BD and sales; it’s now one of Europe’s first “unicorn” FinTech companies. I also interned at the Bank of England for one summer as an economic research intern and spent the summer studying house price indices.
I’m especially interested in learning how to think better, the effective altruism movement, and making sure technological progress goes well for humanity. I love chess. I run a lot.
I’ve been an obsessive reader and movie-watcher since I was very young, and I also like making lists, so here are lists of my favorite movies, books, and music.
Catch me on Twitter @nabeelqu.
- The National COVID Cohort Collaborative: Clinical Characterization and Early Severity Prediction (2020); (DOI, JAMA, preprint). A retrospective cohort study of 1,926,526 SARS-CoV-2 patients from 34 medical centers around the USA, done in collaboration with NIH. (Press: STAT News, MIT Review.)
- The National COVID Cohort Collaborative (N3C): Rationale, Design, Infrastructure, and Deployment (2021), Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (DOI, JAMIA). Methods paper for the above.
- Synergies between Centralized and Federated Approaches to Data Quality: A Report from the National COVID Cohort Collaborative - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34590684/
- Salinger - A blog engine, written in Ruby
- Kill Twitter - A simple Chrome extension that turns off the Twitter newsfeed
- Carmack - A Mac OS X productivity/time-tracking app